Remembrance Day Memories - Michael

Captured German trench near Pozieres 1916.
Image sourced from Australian War Memorial (www.awm.gov.au)
For me, Remembrance Day has both personal and historical significance.

My paternal Grandfather served in “the Great War”. He was wounded at Pozieres, on the Somme, and his death, some forty years later was partly attributed to his war service. His death had a big impact on my family, emotionally and financially, as my Grandmother was left with 8 children, the youngest only 8. He was the only grandparent I never knew and I’ve always felt a sense of loss regarding him. 

Remembrance Day historically signifies the Armistice at 11 o’clock on 11 November 1918, when hostilities ceased and the Great War ended. It was a time to remember all those who had been effected by this war but has become something larger in the years since. I think it’s a day to remember all those effected by war and to hope that peace may prevail instead of conflict.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Historic Homes of Essendon "Mar Lodge"

Malakoff Castle, Maribyrnong

Chinese-Australian family history