Remembrance Day Memories - Jennie

When I was at Primary School in the late 60’s, Remembrance Day was always marked with a minutes silence. I had no real sense of the importance of that silent minute until more recently when I unearthed stories of my own families involvement in WW1 and WW2.


For me and my family, Remembrance Day is a chance to remember uncles lost in faraway places and a grandfather I never met who, as a stretcher bearer, helped probably thousands of men on the battlefields of Gallipoli and the Western Front. I also remember and think about my father who served in the Pacific in WW2. I think about the stories he told me as an older man and I am thankful that my own sons have not had to spend their 20s fighting in far off places. 

Buglers sounding the "Last Post" 1943
Sourced from Australian War Memorial website (www.awm.gov.au)
The minutes silence no longer seems to be marked as it once was, but I try to stop what I am doing at 11am on November 11th and think about my family. I always choke up and find tears in my eyes when the trumpet sounds.


 

Popular posts from this blog

Historic Homes of Essendon "Mar Lodge"

Malakoff Castle, Maribyrnong

Chinese-Australian family history