Jan 20, 2009

New exhibition at the Public Records Office, Victoria

'Max Dupain on Assignment"

This exhibition is a collection of photographs by Max Dupain from the collections of the National Archives of Australia and the Noel Butlin Archives Centre at the Australian National University. The exhibition explores works that Dupain created in the 1940's to the 1970's for the Australian Government and the Colonial Sugar Refining Company Limited, now known as CSR.
For more information about this project the Moonee Valley Library Service has a copy of the book Max Dupain on Assignment Call No. F 779 DUP and several other books on Max Dupain's photography.
The National Archives of Australia had no information about the young violinist used in the promotional materials, but Robyn Davies learnt her image was part of the exhibition when her brother saw it promoted in the Qantas inflight magazine. Robyn remembers the day well, the photograph was taken in 1971 at the Methodist Ladies' College in Burwood, Sydney. In 1987 Robyn moved to Papua New Guinea where she still lives with local people translating the Bible into one of the 850 language in that country, unfortunately she no longer plays the violin. This exhibition is on display from the 15th January - 22nd May, 2009 for more information visit the Public Records Office Victoria

Jan 19, 2009

Historic Homes of Essendon "Mar Lodge"

"Mar Lodge" was built in 1860 and was originally the residence of James Robertson, a wealthy pastoralist who used it as his hunting lodge and later owned by his son Francis Robertson. In 1888 the McCracken Brothers purchased "Mar Lodge" and it became a gathering place for the parties and dinners for the colony's elite. By 1919 the entire estate was sold to the Todd family however by 1929 the entire property was sold and on the 18th November, 1929 the Mar Lodge Estate was officially created, with 316 allotments available from 90 pounds.

Jan 6, 2009

Puckle Street, Moonee Ponds.

Puckle Street, Moonee Ponds, 1912-1917, National Library of Australia.

Puckle Street, Moonee Ponds which commences at the Junction of Mt. Alexander Road and finishes at the Moonee Ponds Station was originally known as Railway Street, re-named Puckle Street in 1876 and declared a Public Highway on the 27th May 1887. It is said to be named after the Rev. Edward Puckle, the first incumbent in 1856 until 1878 of St. Thomas's Anglican Church in Mt. Alexander Road.  Electric trams were introduced in 1906 and removed in 1924 after complaints from trader that it was bad for business.  Puckle Street grew from 32 buinesses in 1890 to 77 in 1899. 

For more information see -

'The Puckles of Moonee Ponds' by Truda Olson Victorian Historical Journal, Vol. 65 No.1 June 1994. Call No. LH 994.5005 VIC
'Street Names of Essendon, Moonee Ponds, Ascot Vale and Strathmore' 2nd ed. Editor Lenore Frost, 2001. Call No. LH 994.51 STR
'Street Names of Essendon' by Leslie T. Barnes. Local History Vertical File (held at the Sam Merrifield Library, Moonee Ponds).
Puckle Street by Dr. the Hon. S. Merrifield. Essendon Historical Society Newsletter Vol.11 No.1 (1981) p.2