May 19, 2008

History of Moonee Valley (formerly City of Essendon)

The Borough of Essendon and Flemington was proclaimed on December 27th, 1861. The first public meeting was held at the Moonee Ponds Hotel at 3 p.m. on Saturday 25th January, 1862 under the Chairmanship of Mr. Edward Byam Wight of Kensington who was appointed by the Governor. The names of some of that first councillors are still in evidence in street names today - Smith, McCracken, Hoffman, Grant, Leake, Filson. On the 17th March, 1882, Flemington and Kensington left the borough of Essendon, Essendon was proclaimed a Town on January, 10th 1890 and in 1909 Essendon was proclaimed a City on April 16th.

Synopsis of Textiles Exhibition

More things Italian. This exhibition is to be held at the CO.AS.IT. Centre, 54 University Street, Carlton, 3053. Opening June 1st until June 9th, 2008.
"HANDS AND HEART, STITCHES OF LOVE". The exhibition is a celebration of women's work of handmade trousseau or dowry Italian textiles from various regions of Italy. Personal stories and memories are an integral part of the fabric of this show. The Italian heritage of these women will unfold to the viewer through the textiles themselves, other relevant objects, text, photographs, a multimedia presentation and brochures. Celia Beeton has curated the exhibition. The exhibition is part of the Melbourne Italian Festival 22nd May-8th June, 2008.

Communes of Italy Journal in Genealogy Centre

The State Library of Victoria Genealogy Centre is now subscribing to the journal Comunes of Italy (devoted to Italian genealogy and all things Italian). The first issued for March/April, 2008 has just arrived. It is in English and published in the US six times a year. Each issue give information pertaining to a province, including addresses and websites. Useful for anyone research Italian ancestry.

May 5, 2008

Ave Maria formerly known as Clydebank




Many mansions built in Essendon in the 1880's and 1890's later became schools. One being Ave Maria the former home of the Ramsay family.
The house was built in 1889 in the Victorian Italianate style, and previously known as "Clydebank". Home of noted artist Hugh Ramsay who studied at the National Gallery of Victoria and in 1899 left Australia to study painting in Paris, where he contracted tuberculosis and returned to Australia in 1902 where he died four years later. The National Gallery of Victoria holds a number of his paintings. Since 1963 the home as been the administrative functions of the Ave Maria College, Vida Street, Essendon.

Walter Burley Griffin Incinerator




The Walter Burley Griffin Incinerator in Holmes Road, Moonee Ponds was built in 1929 from designs by W. Burley Griffin and is one of the few surviving examples of his work. In the 1920's, incinerators were seen as a solution to shortages of suitable waste lands within municipalities for the tipping of household refuse. The decision by Essendon Council to build one caused much controversy, mainly due to the perceived unsightliness. The method of waste disposal was developed by local Moonee Ponds engineer John Boadle and produced pollutant free emissions. It ceased operations as an incinerator in 1942. For more information go to Sam Merrifield Library's Local History Room where the vertical file contains newspaper articles, journal articles about the iconic Incinerator.